French Alpine Club
Departmental Committee for pedestrian hiking
Around the Clos de Vougeot
Explore the world-famous Clos de Vougeot castle and the surrounding vineyard landscapes. A walk in the heart of the climates to discover the Burgundy vineyards in a different way.
❶ From the Grande Cave car park, looking towards the Dijon-Beaune road, reach the left corner of the car park. Go through the gate and walk along the wall, passing behind the bus shelter. Straight ahead, pass to the left of the old washhouse. Take rue du Moulin on the left. Cross the D122 and go straight on rue de Vergy. Continue the road towards the Château du Clos de Vougeot.
❷ At the entrance of the Clos de Vougeot, continue to the right and then to the right again after 100 m. Then, after 650 m, come out on the D122. Turn left, staying on the left side of the road. Turn quickly to the left on the stone path. Follow it to Chambolle-Musigny.
❸ Arrived at the church. Turn right, then immediately left. Go down rue Ste Barbe. Turn right onto rue Caroline Aigle. After 250 m turn left onto the rue de Morey. At the last house, turn right onto the path that leads into the vineyards. Cross a small road and continue straight towards the village. Follow the rue Saint Roch to the left.
❹ In the village of Morey-Saint-Denis, come out at the Grande Rue. Go into it on the left. After the church, continue to the right on the D122. After 100 m, go up the first path on the left towards the vines. The route is then shared with the GR de Pays des Grands Crus marked in yellow / red.
❺ After a steep climb, at the top of the vines, follow the path on the left, to the left again, which then enters in the wood. At the intersection, go down towards the vineyards and the village. In Chambolle-Musigny, continue straight on Chemin du Pied du Four then Rue de Vergy. Leave the village and continue through the vineyards.
❻After a big bend on the left, at the intersection, take the left path. At the intersection, leave the yellow / red markings on the left and continue straight. Go down towards Clos de Vougeot. At the road, turn left. Take the first road on the right. Pass in front of the entrance to Clos de Vougeot. Continue straight on to the car park.
– Departure from the town hall car park (1 – on the diagram)
– When leaving the car park, take left on rue Caroline Aigle to see the fountain (2 – on the diagram) and turn around to see the polychrome statue of the Saint on the wall of the rue Sainte Barbe.
– Continue to the fork, then turn left on the rue Traversière. At the foot of the restaurant, have a look at the Château de Chambolle (19th century, Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier property) and look up to admire the cliffs that are overlooking the village.
Going down rue du Tilleul, observe the Chalet Montille Napoleon III style. Adorned with fake red bricks and cut-out wooden balconies, it hides a curious little tower behind, covered with glazed tiles (one of the historical elements of typical Burgundian artisanal and architectural art).
– short Variant in the village: turn left on the rue du Carré, then left again on rue Caroline Aigle and return to the car park.
– long Variant to admire the vines: continue down the rue du Tilleul until you leave the village, pass the cemetery, and take the first road on the right (the cycle route) which will allow you to see the famous Clos Vougeot and the terraced vines.